close



log-in
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning More Likely During Fall & Winter PDF Print E-mail

Carbon Monoxide poisoning is more likely to occur during the fall and winter months, when people are more likely to use gas furnaces, heaters and generators in their homes. It can be a frightening situation because it's odorless and colorless.

The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure can include nausea, headaches and dizziness. These symptoms can easily be mistaken for other illness such as a viral or flu illness. Severe symptoms can include a loss of consciousness, shortness of breath and loss of muscle control.

Strategies to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Exposure:

  • Do not use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline- or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window.
  • Do not run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
  • Do not burn anything in a stove or fireplace that is not vented.
  • Do not heat your house with a gas oven.
  • Install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector in your home. If your detector sounds, evacuate your home immediately and telephone 911.
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, immediately get to fresh air and seek medical attention.
 

logo22.png    RonaldRhoadesCMRSSeal 

Rhoades-Environmental-1995-2017

Rhoades Environmental Proudly Supporting America    croix-14.gif